Saturday, January 31, 2009

Home "improvement"???? projects

Well in typical Melissa fashion, what started earlier this week as a quick project that should have only taken a couple of hours, has turned into a HUGE, drawn out pain in the butt! There is this little area at the end of the entry hall that was closed off and previously used as a pantry or storage closet. It had become really jammed full of stuff, because when people were coming over we just kinda threw stuff in there. It really needed cleaned out and organized. Well when I took everything out I decided that I wanted to make it into a little entry way area instead of a closet. There is even a little window in there. I took off the bi-fold door and started to take down the shelves that were screwed into the wall. Well, the crazy person who had hung the shelves had over-tightened most of the screws and stripped the heads. I couldn't get them off. Jason worked on them when he got home and then we patched all the holes. I found a place for the extra junk that was in that closet and made plans in my head for a curtains, and a bench with matching cushion. Today, Jason painted while Audrey and I went fabric shopping. I was trying to think of some ingenious cheap bench that was narrow enough to fit and Jason was finishing up painting the trim and baseboard when the unthinkable happened. Jason tipped over the gallon bucket of white paint and spilled a large amount onto the hallway carpet. Now I'm not especially in love with this carpet, but it goes all through the hall, in all of the living room, up the stairs and in the upstairs hall. If we replaced it we would have to replace ALL of these areas, and that really isn't an option right now. I was really trying hard not to loose it and scream or cry. After scooping up as much as we could with paper towels and a dust pan, and ruining a little carpet spot cleaner, I got online and googled "how to get paint out of carpet". We then began using dawn dish soap and water. Then Jason worked on it for quite a while with our big rug cleaner. It is much improved, but isn't completely gone. I don't know if other people will really notice it or if I just do because I know it is there. Anyway, it is now day 5 of the project and we aren't even close to finishing. Oh, and I invited people over for dinner after church tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh . . . Murphy's Law in action! I can sympathize. I think you are courageous, though, to tackle the projects you do, and . . . they usually turn out quite nice! Why didn't you post a picture? :)

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I think I figured out how to post a comment! :) I saw Sara's blog (from your site) and saw her post of her and Sean's engagement and left a comment as anonymous (like your mom). So, now I can leave little notes for you. :) Good luck on your projects...

Love,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Yo Mommy

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers