Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Mouse in the House

We have been having a mouse issue lately. I have woken Jason up in the middle of the night a couple of times over the last couple of weeks because I hear "scritching" as I call it. I don't know why I use scritching, it just seems like the right word to me. Well, we must have Houdini mice because they weren't being tricked by the traps we set for them. In fact I think the traps just provided them with a midnight snack during their scavenging quests. After seeing a mouse run around the living room in the middle of the afternoon we decided that we had to do something else. Yes, we have a cat. I had to go find her, wake her up and practically throw her upstairs in the living room. She didn't seem to even sense that there was a mouse around and hid under the dining room table while the rest of use ran around and squealed. So, we decided to put out glue traps. I know, they are awful, but so is watching a mouse run around your house. Well, the next morning Audrey is yelling for me saying "mama guess what we caught, two of them". I didn't come down to watch but I guess Audrey was very interested it the 2 mice stuck to 1 glue trap squealing. It took Jason 10 minutes to work up the nerve to pick up the glue trap, but Audrey took a flashlight and examined them. She told me all about how cute they were and how their tiny feet were pink, and they made cute little squeaks. I am glad I didn't witness it! I was upstairs getting Henry dressed and I heard Audrey yelling out the back door frantically "Dada don't throw them in the garbage!!" He told a little fib and told her he was going to let them run across the street to the golf course. I think we are going to try to look for some other kind of traps. The glue traps are a little too traumatic for us I think. Today on the way to school Audrey and Henry were pretending to be rats. They were clawing and making gnawing noises!

2 comments:

Berkeys said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great year!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I think this is further evidence (along with liking wooly worms and wanting to collect ants and making a nest for the rubber snake) that Audrey is destined to be some sort of natural scientist. Anything from a doctor to an entymologist. Lots of scientific experiments get carried out on mice so it's a good thing she thinks they're cute.

P.S. Might try the stuff with warfarin (same as the human drug coumadin). It makes them go somewhere to die and then they sort of disintegrate so you may never see bodies.

GAB

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers