Thursday, November 6, 2008

Update from this week

This week has gone by pretty quickly. Monday I had moms group where we had a speaker about recycling. She also talked about vermiculture to compost and now I'm inspired to give it a try. I thought Audrey would get a huge kick out of it. We are calling it a worm farm instead of vermiculture though. We haven't started our worm farm yet, we are still getting ready. It will consist of a Rubbermaid bin with holes drilled around the top, with moistened shredded newspaper, and a few worms. We will keep it in the unfinished room in the basement and it will have a lid on it. You feed them your vegetable and fruit food scraps. They also eat and break down the newspaper and reproduce to the right amount for the food that they are given. Now who is thinking I am completely crazy right now. A bucket of worms in the basement!?! It seems like a really fun project to me and I guess the by-product of the worm farm is really great fertilizer that is completely safe around children and pets. We will see how it goes. I'm not sure where I will find the worms this time of year.
I have been trying to sort through and organize the toys before the Christmas onslaught. I gave some girl toys that Audrey had outgrown to a friend of mine and she traded me a box full of trucks, action figures, boy stuff. Henry and Audrey have been having a good time with a bunch of little Bob the Builder tractors. Henry has been talking so much lately. Last night Audrey was talking about numbers and said the word seven, and Henry piped up "eight, nine, ten". We all stopped and looked at each other in amazement. I asked him what he said and he repeated "eight, nine, ten". We are trying to teach him the alphabet. He will repeat the letters after us and cheer for himself at the end. He is also getting pretty good at animals and the sounds they make. He is at such a fun stage. I can't wait for Christmas! It is going to be a blast. Well, all except trying to keep Henry from destroying the tree.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's so smart! Just like his Aunt Sara.

Berkeys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berkeys said...

Too bad I don't have a basement! =)

Anonymous said...

HEY GUYS, GOOD IDEA ABOUT COMPOSTING. WE'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS OUT HERE. STARTING IT IS KIND OF SLOW, BUT ONCE IT STARTS, GET READY! IF THERE ARE BAIT SHOPS IN YOUR AREA, GO THERE FOR THE WORMS, OTHERWISE, SEARCH THE NET. HAVE FUN.
TONY

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers